Saturday, March 14, 2009

WOW Trader segment #1

welcome to wow trader, where we put the arcane brilliance on your wow bling. This is Miy, level 80 warlock and your host for this segment.

The goal of this segment is to help you put a little gold if your pocket, but here is a disclaimer, this podcast is not a short cut to gold and wealth. I am here to try and point you in the correct direction; the effort will have to come from you. Any advice I give applied improperly can lose the gold you invest. If you want to succeed you will need to put in the time and effort. In this case it means doing the research before investing your hard earned gold.

It is my hope this podcast segment will allow you to avoid most of the many hours of research I had to do to get to where I am now. This is Miy, and welcome to WOW Trader.

Where’s the beef?

 Today we will discuss tools and resources. When humans do anything, tools allow us to accomplish more. Today I want to share with you a few of my tools and resources.

I use a few add-ons which I load only on my AH character, but the most important one is Auctioneer. Auctioneer can be downloaded at curse.com or with wow matrix.

Auctioneer allows you to scan the auction house for sales prices, over time this can give you a basic idea of what things are worth. A week’s worth of scanning is enough to get good reliable data, after which I usually only scan once a week or so.  

Tip tip tip tip

If I could impart only one piece of advice to you to this is it. Set up a level one character in Orgrimmar, download auctioneer, scan for a week, and then mail and sell all items you are going to on this character. If you learn nothing else from this podcast segment, remember this advice.

Now on to my resources, I used to do all the research myself, but recently there have been a few blogs that have popped up that offer really good information. My two favorite at the moment are ‘thewoweconomist.com’ and ‘greedygoblin.blogspot.com’

The wow economist tracks trends to an amazing degree, and gives great introductory articles for those new to WOW, or those new to playing the auction house.

The greedy goblin is designed for those a little more advanced. It takes some hard hitting stances on different AH activities. Mind you I don’t agree with everything the author writes, but he has many good points.

Both have a wealth of resources that you should be reading about. And that is where the beef is.

MOOOOO


The Street:

Here the word on the street, while checking out my new pvp leggings from the vault I noticed there were no epic level thread enchants for cloth gear on the ah. So I did a little research.

Tip tip tip tip

 Brilliant spell thread takes 8 eternal life, 3 eternium thread, 1 frozen orb and 1 iceweb spider silk the cost of all these materials is 230g if you buy them from the AH, now I figure when I was level 70 these enchants ran 300g, 400g should be a reasonable amount to ask for level 80 enchants, which means a profit of 170 per brilliant spellthread sold. That’s a pretty decent profit margin if you ask me.

Tip tip tip tip

If you check out our forms under the professions section I posted a picture of a farming route for engineers for eternal fire, I understand that this route generates about 480g worth of eternals in an hour. So if you’re the gathering type and you have engineering as a profession you might want to take a look at it.


The Rant:

Every, I repeat every, profession has a way to make gold. Some are better than others. Jewelcrafting makes me about 1800 gold an hour invested at the moment. It however is the exception to the normal. 

When someone say’s I can’t make gold off my profession, what they are saying is I don’t want to do the research to see which products sell for more than the materials to make it. This is a good thing, for you. Because most people are not going to do the research which means it will remain profitable. If everyone did the research we would all sell the items, flood the market and eventually there would be no profit.

Let’s be honest, most patterns do not produce an item more valuable than its component pieces, but some do. And if you are willing to do the research to find these recipes, then you can make a profit with your profession, regardless of what that profession is.

But to take this rant a step further, you even don’t need to have a profession to make gold off it. I have made 1000’s of gold off leatherworking and tailoring neither of which I personally have. To make gold off profession you don’t have means a lot of research

Tip tip tip tip

Although there are hundreds of recipes, focus on wrath content the higher the level of recipe the higher level of player using whatever it produces which means more profit, or more loss, make sure you do your research.

This is Miy, putting the wed fed buff on your wow wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment